Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Featuring Sweet Lollipop Shop

This week we would like to feature Louise from Sweet Lollipop Shop!

The Sweet Lollipop specialize in custom hand poured lollipops and favors for all occasions, including crystal barley hard candy lollipops in hundreds of shapes and delicious flavors.

With over 300 different themed hard candy molds in stock and over 30 current flavors in stock, there is something for everyone and every theme imaginable and we specialize in customized orders, including weddings, birthdays, baby showers, Christmas, Easter and so much more.
Can you explain exactly WHAT is Barley Candy? How did you get started making it?

I stumbled into making barley pops almost by accident after a friend suggested I begin selling the candy I made for family and friends parties as gifts because she thought people would go crazy for it. I mostly made chocolate but was experimenting with other styles of candy including gummies and hard candy and developed a passion over time for making traditional style barley candy because of their natural ingredients, taste and how pretty they looked.

Barley candy is a traditional British boiled sweet style candy that became very popular in the early 1900's (although has been around much longer) and was used to create 3D toy candies and was also given to relieve sore throats and upset stomachs. Whereas it used to be made using cane sugar and cream of tartar, the cream of tartar is now not used and instead corn syrup is used which helps to stabilize the candy mixture and also extends it's shelf life.

My own recipe is a tweaked and modified family recipe from back home in the UK and I do not use HFCS as I wanted to keep the ingredients as natural and as healthy as possible and also keep the sweetness of the candy as natural and subtle as possible, which is how barley candy is supposed to taste.

Tell us how long you have been in New Hampshire and what brought you there from the UK? And...would love to know about your family!
I have lived in NH now for almost 4 years, but I've been away from the UK now for about 12 years. My husband is what brought me to the US, he's a NH native, I have 4 children, ages 19, 18, 16, and 9.
What do you miss most about the UK? what do you like the best about New Hampshire?

I miss my dad the most, although we've never been really close he's always been there if I've needed him. I also miss where I used to live in Paignton, Devon, minutes walk from the beach and the local zoo where I volunteered and dressed in a funny lion costume to entertain children! I also definitely miss the food, cheese and onion pies, chips, mushy peas and gravy used to be one of my favorite treats.

My favorite thing about NH is definitely how beautiful and peaceful it is, I can drive in any direction and be surrounded by trees and mountains and natural beauty and I can look up at the sky and see the stars on a clear night without the glare of city lights spoiling the view.



Thanks for letting us get to know you!

Check out Sweet Lollipops SHOP and her BLOG!

No comments: