Monday, December 29, 2008
Recipe Series part 6 - Chicken and Broccoli Braid
This is one of my personal favorites, and would make it a lot more often if I could.
This recipe and the original picture can also be found here: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chicken-and-Broccoli-Braid/Detail.aspx (giving credit where credit is due!)
* 2 cups diced, cooked chicken meat
* 1 cup fresh broccoli, chopped
* 1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
* 1 clove crushed garlic
* 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
* 1/2 cup mayonnaise
* 2 teaspoons dried dill weed
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
* 1/4 cup diced onion
* 2 (8 ounce) packages refrigerated crescent rolls
* 1 egg white, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees F).
2. In a large bowl, toss together chicken, broccoli, red bell pepper, garlic, Cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, dill weed, salt, almonds and onion.
3. Unroll crescent roll dough, and arrange flat on a medium baking sheet. Pinch together perforations to form a single sheet of dough. Using a knife or scissors, cut 1 inch wide strips in towards the center, starting on the long sides. There should be a solid strip about 3 inches wide down the center, with the cut strips forming a fringe down each side. Spread the chicken mixture along the center strip. Fold the side strips over chicken mixture, alternating strips from each side. Pinch or twist to seal.
4. Brush braided dough with the egg white. Bake in the preheated oven 25 to 28 minutes, or until golden brown.
My hubby, who hates all things with mayo and food combinations, really liked this!